Capital Gains Tax in the UK – What You Need to Know?

What is Capital Gains Tax in the UK? Who is it for? How do I pay for it? These are some of the questions you need to ask yourself when you sell your assets. Keep reading to learn more! After all, you need to know the rules to avoid paying the wrong amount of tax. The tax is payable on the taxable gains you make from selling your property. There are some expenses you can deduct when working out your taxable gain.


What Is Capital Gains Tax?

What is Capital Gains Tax in the UK? It is a tax levied on any profit earned from the sale of non-inventory assets. Common capital gains include shares, bonds, precious metals, real estate, and property. The tax is targeted at business owners, investors, and those who participate in employee share schemes. It is currently a draft budget for 2020 and is expected to be introduced on 6 April 2019.

The CGT bill will vary based on the sale price. Non-residents are liable for CGT if they carry out trade or carry on business in the UK. However, they can benefit from private residence relief. Non-residents who are normally resident in the UK but temporarily living in another country can also benefit from special rules. In any case, non-residents must report all sales to the relevant authorities.


In the Case of Residential Property

In the case of residential property, capital gains tax is charged at 28% if the asset is above the basic rate band. The rate for individuals is 18%, while the same rate is applied to businesses. For non-residential property, the CGT rate is 10% and 20%. The Entrepreneurs’ Relief scheme may be advantageous for certain types of businesses. However, it applies only to companies and individuals that are not publicly listed.

When selling an asset, individuals must pay the capital gains tax within 60 days of completion. For non-residents, the period starts 60 days from the date of settlement or the contract note. In cases where the sale is made through a civil partnership, capital gains tax will be due when the assets are sold in the UK. If the seller sells an asset, a capital gain of the sale price is the basis for computing CGT.


Who Is Capital Gains Tax For?

Who Is Capital Gains Tax For in The UK? Capital gains tax (CGT) is a tax on the sale of a property. It is charged when an individual sells their property in the UK and it can be very high, so it is important to know exactly who is liable for this tax. Non-residents are generally liable for CGT when they sell an asset in the UK but do not live there. However, they may qualify for private residence relief. There are also special rules for people who are ordinarily resident in the UK but temporarily reside outside the country.

For American citizens, this tax is much higher. If you sell your UK property to an American citizen, the capital gain is reported in both countries. Fortunately, you can take advantage of foreign tax credits to avoid double taxation. However, this is more complex than it sounds. It is important to know who is liable for the tax – the best answer is to consult an expert. A UK tax specialist can help you decide which property type is best suited for you. If you are thinking of selling your property, the tax is payable when the property is worth more than PS6,000.


What Are the Capital Gains Tax Rates in the UK?

If you sell your property, you will likely be charged capital gains tax. This tax applies to the sale of most assets, including shares, art, and property. If you are selling your main home, however, you are exempt from capital gains tax. The tax rate for residential property is 28% if it’s above the basic rate band and 18% if it’s below. Entrepreneurs’ Relief applies to some non-publicly listed businesses and is subject to changes.

For basic rate taxpayers, CGT is charged at ten percent. However, to qualify, your total income must be below GBP37,570. Gains above this threshold are taxed at twenty percent, and gains on residential property are taxed at 18 percent. Interestingly, there is an annual exemption amount, which is GBP12,300. You must also have an annual income of less than GBP37,570 to qualify for this exemption.


UK may be Exempt from Capital Gains Tax

Non-residents selling residential property in the UK may be exempt from capital gains tax as long as they sold the property before 5 April 2015. However, this benefit is only available to individuals who sold their property as their primary residence. For a company, the annual exempt amount will be used against gains from the highest rate. During the administration period, executors of an estate may receive the annual exempt amount in full.

The sample calculation is based on the Income and Corporation Taxes Act 1988 and the Taxation of Chargeable Gains Act 1992, as well as the Income Tax (Trading and Other Business Income) Act 2005. HMRC has published a booklet on the same subject, which is available here. However, it’s best to consult your accountant for the final calculation. It will be easier to prepare a spreadsheet than a worksheet, as HMRC’s sample calculation includes the most important factors.


How to Pay Capital Gains Tax?

If you’re wondering how to pay capital gains tax in the UK, the answer is simple: remit it! As a tax resident, you have 30 days to report any sale of taxable property. You should file a “payment on account” return with HMRC within that time frame. If you’re a non-resident landlord, you must report all sales of taxable property. Failure to pay CST within these timeframes can result in penalties and interest.

If you own a business, you’ll need to figure out how to pay capital gains tax on your profits. This is a very complex tax, and some people simply will not pay it. But if you are self-employed, you can take advantage of an allowance that will allow you to offset losses against gains. In some cases, you can factor losses into your calculations and pay tax only on the profits you make in a single tax year.


The Rules are Different for People Who Live Outside the UK

If you leave the country for one full tax year, you’ll be exempt from paying capital gains tax on your profits. If you sell property that’s owned by an American citizen, you’ll need to report the sale in both countries. Fortunately, foreign tax credits can alleviate some of the effects of double taxation. But remember that proper planning and timing can make all the difference in your tax bill.

If you’re selling a property in the UK, you may be liable for capital gains tax on your profits. The amount you’re charged depends on the value of the property, but if it’s worth more than PS6,000, it’s taxable. And if you own more than one property, you can get another tax exemption for that same asset. You’ll still have to pay capital gains tax on the property if you sell your main residence in the UK.


Getting Help from a Tax Accountant

Getting Help from a Tax Accountant is highly recommended if you’re facing Capital Gains Tax in the UK. Even if you’ve never dealt with tax before, hiring a professional is a wise move. An accountant can handle the complicated aspects of capital gains tax while keeping you informed about the entire process. Moreover, a UK tax accountant can provide ongoing tax assistance, including filing your tax returns and disclosing any capital gains that you’ve made.

If you’re not a resident of the UK but have invested in a UK property, you can choose to have the chargeable gain calculated against the 5 April 2015 market value. This way, you’ll only have to pay tax on the last nine months of ownership. Getting Help from a personal Tax Accountant for Capital Gains Tax in Dunfermline will help you take advantage of all possible reliefs and offsets for capital gains tax in the UK.



If you’ve sold a capital asset for a profit, you’ve made a capital gain. Generally, capital gains tax applies to UK residents who’ve lived outside of the country for at least five years. This is different for those who sold property abroad and opted for capital gains tax relief. You must also note that a year is no longer enough. For this reason, you need to be abroad for a minimum of five years in order to be exempt.

A qualified Capital Gains Tax Accountant will examine your records in detail to find ways to reduce your CGT liabilities. The accountant will keep you informed and aware of the tax reliefs available to you. A qualified and experienced Capital Gains Tax accountant will keep you up-to-date with any changes to the law. The accountant will also review your records and keep you informed so that you can make the right decision for your unique situation.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button